- Berlin, DE
- Mid-Level, Senior
- star_border Company Events on a regular basis. Come party with us!
- star_border Take part in our corporate pension scheme
- star_border A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences
- star_border Flat hierarchies and the opportunity to have an impact
- star_border Subsidised Urban Sports Club
- star_border Subsidised public transportation card
- star_border Free German classes
- star_border Relocation assistance
- star_border Hardware to your choice (Mac, Windows)
- star_border Bi-weekly breakfast
Your impact at SumUp
As part of our vision to become a truly global tech company, we are building out local, autonomous, cross-functional teams that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. In Hardware our goal is to envision and beautifully design our products, making sure they are prepared for payment and security specifications. We are passionate about our product and the vision of bringing new payment solutions to small merchants.
Our mPOS and printers delegate a significant part of the payment logic to the backend, giving us the flexibility and development speed that our merchants require from us. As a (Senior) Backend Engineer, you will support our team with delivering new features to one of those devices and maintaining existing ones - transaction flows for different payment methods, firmware updates, and other integrations with our internal services. You will also migrate and maintain our terminal backend infrastructure, which includes assets management, card payment processing, hardware configuration, logging, and monitoring.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve backend services in Elixir
- Migrate our core terminal backend from Erlang to Elixir, and extend it
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our devices and mobile application
- Help your team to deliver business value by taking decisions related to backend and actively participating in the product discussions
- Provide comprehensive documentation, good test coverage, and improve code quality
- Collaborate with other software, QA and sysops engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continuous integration, and support for the software that we deliver
- Actively participate in code reviews with other software engineers
You’ll be great for this role if:
- You have 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer
- You have relevant experience with Elixir and OTP (whether in a production environment or from pet projects)
- You have a good understanding of software architecture and application design
- You have a passion for clean, maintainable and testable code
- You are humble, transparent and enjoy working with the people around you
- You are proactive and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Awesome if you:
- Are active in Elixir community, contribute to open source or have personal projects
- Enjoy mentoring fellow engineers and love sharing knowledge
- Have experience with distributed and fault tolerant systems
- Worked in an international, distributed team
- Have experience with Docker
Why you should join SumUp
- You’ll be part of a welcoming and international community of 1700+ people from over 60 nationalities. We get together regularly for breakfasts, cocktail nights, sports and office parties.
- We offer visa and relocation support for a smooth transition to living and working in Berlin.
- We have a budget for attending conferences and advancing your career. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- You’ll attend semi-annual off-sites with the whole Hardware Team. In the past, we've visited Italy, Greece and a castle in the German countryside.
- We offer a corporate pension scheme, free German and yoga classes, subsidised gym membership, sports clubs and other benefits.
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You can choose whether to include a CV and/or a link to your GitHub or LinkedIn profile, tech blog or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture.