- London, GB
- Junior, Mid-Level
- Remote & On-site
- star_border 5 Weeks Holiday
- star_border Pension
- star_border Health Insurance
- star_border Season Ticket Loan
- star_border Annual Company Bonus
- star_border MacBook Air / Pro
- star_border Monthly Tech Socials & Open Source Events
- star_border Tickets To Live Shows & Filming
- star_border We host Meet-Ups at our offices
- star_border Free Coffee
Scala Engineer - ITV Content Technology Permanent London - Grays Inn Road Summary
ITV is the biggest commercial television network in the UK. Behind every famous face, there are hundreds of others, all doing their bit to make things happen. We love telly, we’re passionate about content, and most importantly we understand our audiences. As a growing international company, we’re commercially minded, rel="nofollow">upcoming launch of BritBox is just one example of the work we’re doing. Our roadmap also contains opportunities to harness AI and Machine Learning to extract greater value from ITV’s assets, and optimise the supply chain further. We love talking about the work we do, so feel free to get in touch if you’d like to hear more about this.
How we do this
Development teams at ITV have the autonomy to choose the right tools for the job. Our primary tech stack reflects the team’s preference for pure typed functional programming: we use (and contribute to!) libraries such as cats / scalaz, http4s, fs2, circe and doobie.
Developers work alongside Platform Engineers to deploy and manage our services. Our infrastructure stack includes AWS, Docker, Jenkins, GitHub, Puppet and Terraform, with Kubernetes on the roadmap as we evolve our approach to DevOps.
Engineers at ITV are encouraged to contribute to open source projects, speak at conferences and host events, and are provided with numerous training and development opportunities. Check out the following videos of talks that our engineers have given at recent events:
About you To be considered for this opportunity, you will need to demonstrate the following skills:
- Knowledge of at least one programming language
- Good team communication skills
- Knowledge of testing techniques and strategies
- Comfortable working in an Agile environment (TDD, pairing, working with stakeholders, etc.)
The following skills are desirable, although there will be plenty of opportunities to learn these on the job:
- Scala development skills and knowledge of Scala ecosystem
- Functional programming techniques and patterns
- Experience designing message-based, distributed systems
- Knowledge of relational and NoSQL data stores
- Experience diagnosing functional and performance issues
- An understanding of cloud-native software architecture
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly reputable functional team which is a pivotal part of ITV’s overall plans & objectives. You will be working in a high performing team with vast visibility at board level. You will be helping ITV achieve the goal of being more than TV!
If you have talent, a real passion for creativity and want to join our ITV family, we have plenty to offer you. Everyone’s unique background and life experiences add huge value to our ITV culture. Our people are our greatest asset and, as an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to work both in front of and behind the cameras.
"ITV, where creativity, diversity and collaboration put us right at the heart of popular culture."